Guinean security minister Albert Camara said that nine people, including one police officer, were killed when violence erupted out after Guinea’s presidential election on 18 October.
Opposition supporters took to the streets, raised barricades, burned tires, and assaulted people between Oct. 19 and Oct. 21.
The violence came after the presidential candidate and member of the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea, UFDG, Cellou Dalein Diallo, claimed an electoral victory before the announcement of official results, said the Ministry of Security in Thurdsay.
Read Also: Guinea is calling for peace after 7 people killed in post-electoral violence
Camara said that opposition supporters then battled with security forces seeking to avoid the attack.
He said 9 people have been killed during the violence, either by shots fired or by knifing, while dozens of civilians were injured.
The minister said another cop had been stabbed. Added that none of the police offers were holding lethal weapons.
The outcome of the presidential election were yet to be released by the electoral commission.
Twelve candidates run for the highest position, but only the current president, Alpha Conde, and Diallo are said to have a chance of victory.