Chidinma Ekile (born May 2, 1991), professionally known as Chidinma, is a gifted gospel singer, actor, and composer from Nigeria. She came to prominence in 2010 after winning the third season of Project Fame West Africa.
Following the release of the music video for her track “Emi Ni Baller,” she became the first female artist to reach number one on the MTV Base Official Naija Top 10 list.
In 2011, she released the track “Jankoliko” with Sound Sultan. It was accompanied by the songs “Jankoliko”, “Carry You Go”, “Kedike”, and “Run Dia Mouth”. Her eponymous first album Chidinma was published via the music portal Spinlet. The album contains guest performances by Sound Sultan, Tha Suspect, Olamide, and Muna.
Chidinma received the 2012 Kora Award for Best Female West African Act and sang “Kedike” during the event. Her song, Jehovah Overdo, was just released after she was signed with Eezee Concept.
Chidinma Ekile, who goes by the stage name Chidinma, is a singer, songwriter, and actress from Nigeria. She was born in Ketu, Kosofe, Lagos State, on May 2, 1991. She comes from the state of Imo. She is the sixth child out of a total of seven.
She was born to an Igbo mother, Martha Ekile, and an Igbo father, Hillary Ekile (father). Chidinma and Chidiebere Aneke are her two sisters. They are also known as the Aneke Twins.
Chidinma’s father was strict, and she started singing when she was six. When she was 10, she joined the choir at her church.
Chidinma didn’t want to go to the University of Lagos at first because she was moving up in Project Fame West Africa. In an interview with YNaija, she said that she has always worked hard at school, so it was only natural for her to go to Unilag. She also said that music wasn’t always on her mind, but after she won the music competition, she decided to give it a try.
Before moving to Ikorodu, Chidinma spent his elementary and secondary school years in the Ketu area of Lagos. Even though she intended to major in Mass Communication, she ended up getting her bachelor’s degree from the University of Lagos in the field of Sociology instead.
She had always fantasized about becoming a contestant on the reality television program Project Fame West Africa before she ever tried out for the third season of the competition. Chidinma was able to leave her home in Ikorodu and go to Ultima Studios because of the assistance and support she received from her close friend. During that year, she was one of the eight thousand candidates that participated to demonstrate their skills.
After that, Chidinma participated in the Fame Academy round together with 17 other participants. Voice coaches, motivational speakers, renowned musicians, and service providers for the music industry were among the musical specialists that provided instruction to her and the other contenders over the course of ten weeks.
In addition, candidates were given instruction in choreography as well as many practice exercises. The winner of the tournament was Chidinma, and the announcement was made on September 26, 2010. She triumphed in many competitions and was awarded a total of rewards that included $2.5 million, a 2011 Toyota RAV4, and a production agreement. The sponsorship arrangement between Chidinma and MTN Nigeria was finalized in May 2013.
Chidinma’s journey into the Gospel Music Industry came about when she signed a contract with Eezee Conceptz, a full gospel production agency. She was true to her promise.
After completing and releasing a project in which she collaborated with another contestant from Season 3, Chidinma immediately began working on her self-titled first studio album. The album was slated to be made available for purchase sometime in the last three months of 2011. She gave a cursory discussion of the record and said that she put a lot of effort into it.
She collaborated with a variety of producers, such as Cobhams Asuquo, Tee-Y Mix, WazBeat, and Oscar Heman Ackah, among others. On February 22, 2011, she released the singles “Jankoliko” and “Carry You Go,” both of which had assistance from Sound Sultan. Oscar Heman Ackah is responsible for writing and producing both of these tracks.
Chidinma said that she was happy with the excellent reception that the songs received after they were released and that she is working hard to better her art in an interview that was published on the website of the Weekly Trust. The music video for “Jankoliko” by Chidinma was directed by Clarence Peters and was made available for viewing on June 4th, 2011. The song “Kedike” was the third single to be released from the album on October 11, 2011.
Cobhams Asuquo was the producer of the song, whose title literally translates to “Heartbeat.” Chidinma said that she and her producers came up with the song’s title, and she went on to say that the song is about love. The interview was conducted by Entertainment Rave.
On January 24, 2012, the music video for “Kedike,” which was directed by Clarance Peters, was made available online. In the music video, Chidinma’s on-screen love interest was portrayed by Nigerian artist Dammy Krane. The song “Run Dia Mouth” was the fourth single that she released from the album on October 11, 2011.
On September 14, 2012, she released the track “Emi Ni Baller,” which included contributions from Illbliss and Tha Suspect. Legendury Beatz was the one responsible for producing the song. Yes, Academy reached its highest position of number 7 on the list of the Top 10 songs produced in 2013 by Vanguard. On February 22, 2013, the official remix for “Emi Ni Baller” was made available for download. Wizkid was the one who provided the vocals for it, while Legendury Beatz was the one who produced it. On June 12, 2013, Capital Dreams Pictures disseminated the music video for the song titled “Emi Ni Baller.”
Clarence Peters was the director of photography, and the film was filmed in the United Kingdom. On June 10, 2013, Chidinma released three singles: “Bless My Hustle,” “Kite,” and “Jolly.” The songs “Bless My Hustle,” “Kite,” and “Jolly” were all produced by Tha Suspect, Del B, and Wizzboy, in that order.
Oh, Baby was first released by Chidinma on September 14th, 2013. The original version of the song was published on January 29, 2014, and the remix includes Flavour N’abania. Young D was responsible for producing both of these tunes. The music video for the song “Oh Baby (You & I)” was released by her on May 2nd, 2014. Ngozi Nwosu and OC Ukeje are two of the stars of the film, which was directed by Clarence Peters.
2017 saw the debut of Chidinma’s single “Fallen in Love,” which quickly became a fan favorite. At this time, this video has received more than 77 million views on YouTube.
Chidinma kicked out her acting career with a role in the film The Bridge (2017), which was directed by Kunle Afolayan. The film was released in 2017.
Gospel Music Career
After a very lengthy break from the music scene, Chidinma Ekile emerged again in May 2021, but this time it was to celebrate her 30th birthday by posting images of herself on Instagram. She had not been active in the music industry for a very long time.
She looks back with regret on the more than nine years she spent performing secular music, pointing out that her abrupt transition to gospel music was prompted by a fresh experience with God and a deeper comprehension of her Christian faith.
On May 2, 2021, Chidinma made her debut with a gospel track that was named “Jehovah Over Do.” This release served as an announcement that she would be entering the Nigerian gospel music arena. The New Season EP was published on August 23, 2021, and it includes an extra track, bringing the total number of songs on the EP to 7.
Chidinma has not yet committed to a partner. However, there are persistent reports that she is romantically involved with Flavour, a well-known artist from Nigeria. Additionally, she has a history of association with Wizkid.
Awards & Nominations
- Best Vocal Performance (Female) nominee at The Headies – 2012
- Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA) nominated her for Best Afro Pop – 2012
- Best Indigenous Concept nominee at the Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA) – 2012
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Best New Act of the Year – 2012
- Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year Nominee at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2012
- At the Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA), I Am Sorry was nominated as the Best Afro Hip Hop Video – 2013.
- Channel O Music Video Awards nominated Emi Ni Baller as the Most Gifted African West – 2013
- Nominated for Best Collabo at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2013
- City People Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Musician of the Year (Female) – 2013
- Best Collabo of the Year nominee at the City People Entertainment Awards – 2014
- City People Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Musician of the Year (Female) – 2014
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated her for Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year – 2014
- Female Artist of the Year nominee at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Best Music Video of the Year (Artist & Director) nominee at Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Nominated Oh! Baby – You & I (featuring Flavour N’abania) for Best Collaboration at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Nominee at African Muzik Magazine Awards for the Best Female West Africa – 2014
- MTV Africa Music Awards nominated her as the Best Female – 2014
- Best Female West African Act by Kora Awards in 2012
- Best Pop Extra Video by Nigeria Music Video Awards in 2013.
- I Am A Winner (with MTN Project Fame All-Stars) – 2011
- Jankoliko (featuring Sound Sultan) in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Carry You Go in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Kedike in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Run Dia Mouth in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Emi Ni Baller (featuring Tha Suspect and iLLBliss) – 2012
- Kite – 2013
- Emi Ni Baller – Remix (featuring WizKid) – 2013
- Bless My Hustle (featuring Phyno) – 2013
- Jolly – 2013
- Oh Baby – 2013
- Sweet Like Shuga (with Flavour, KCee, Sound Sultan, and Professor) – 2013
- CAPITAL Krismas (with Tha Suspect, iLLBliss, Tesh Carter, and Clarence Peters) – 2013
- Oh Baby – You & I (featuring Flavour) – 2014
- Kuli Kache – 2014
- Martha – 2014
- Fallen In Love”-2017
- Jehovah Overdo”-2021
- This Love
Chidinma‘s net worth is US$2.8 million.
- Instagram: @chindinmaekile
Do you find Six9ja useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!