The Gombe state administration has approved a prohibition on the importation of livestock from other states.
At an exco meeting he presided over, Governor Muhammadu Yahaya also banned the transfer of livestock from one Local Government Area to another from October 2022 to January 2023, according to Muhammad Gettado, the state’s commissioner for agriculture and animal husbandry.
Yahaya said the decision was made to ensure food output while also reducing farmer-herder disputes.
Moreover, the Commissioner issued a strong caution against burning agricultural waste, claiming that doing so would endanger the animals’ lives when they returned to the farm in February 2023.
- “Council approved measures to curtail the fighting between farmers and herders in Gombe State. As you are fully aware, farmers used to come from other states passing through Gombe.
- “Already about 35 to 40 percent of Gombe State farmers, infact northern Nigeria farmers have nothing to eat now they have finished what they produced because they got 10-15 percent of what they are supposed to get. In view of this there is need for government to take serious measures to atleast take care of the little we have on our farmers.
- “The banning of herders from entering Gombe State from October 2022 to January was approved by state executive council we intend to restrict movement of cattle from one local government to another because most of the destruction is done by indigenous cattle in Gombe State. It should remain in the local government areas until 31st January 2023.
- “Burning of crops residue by the farmers after harvest is illegal because they are supposed to leave their harvest the rest is for the cattle.
- “Night grazing is one of the issues we are having between farmers and herders from 6pm is very dangerous, usually they destroy farms, no night grazing from 6pm to 6am as far as Gombe is concerned.
- “We have directed the leadership of Myetti Allah to make sure that no children is allowed to shepherd cattles because it one of the causes of farmers/herders conflict.”
Do you find Six9ja useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!