Zainab Ahmed, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, has stated that fuel subsidy will be commpletely gradationed by June 2023.
Ahmed disclosed on November 15, speaking on Tuesday, during a national press conference that the removal of petroleum subsidy is a part of the Federal government medium-term target in the 2023 budget, and also how to go about it has been the demanding, to mark the end of the 28th National Economic Summit.
- “First, we have to engage. We have already engaged with the states and the public before it was approved as part of the medium-term plan.
- “We have to do it by systematically informing the citizens about the size and the quantum of the fuel subsidy.
- “We also have to educate them about the opportunity cost of what we are unable to do because of the fuel subsidy.”
In addition to funds deficit, is putting huge tension on the “fiscals”, the Minister said.
Ahmed also noted;
- “It is not money that we have; it is money that we have to borrow to maintain the fuel subsidy.
- “Some countries introduced subsidy during the COVID-19, and because of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, but they are using their money to fund such subsidy.
- “In our case, we are borrowing to pay the subsidy; that is double jeopardy. It is something that has to stop
- “We are glad that majority of people in decision-making positions, including the political parties, have agreed that subsidy is not sustainable.
- ”The plan is, by June 2023, we must have completely exited subsidy, and it has to be a gradual process.”
Do you find Six9ja useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!